Pony Play Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-12 05:30:49

Colt45

DIY Harness and other tack

Would anyone be interested if I wrote up a how to article step by step with pictures on how to make your own harness? I've been on these forums for maybe a month now and haven't seen a lot of talk since I've joined, but lots of views on posts everyday. If a coule people are interested I will write up an article. Let me know!

#2 2015-10-13 05:52:52

cpony
Administrator
Website

Re: DIY Harness and other tack

I would most definitely be interested! There aren't many DIY articles on how make your own harness. Considering a harness can be one of the, or THE, most expensive equipment purchase(s) for a pony/trainer, I think it would be especially useful to have a DIY option.

#3 2015-11-01 14:37:46

DesertHorse

Would be interested as well!

#4 2015-11-02 05:37:26

Colt45

I have most of the article written, most of the pictures are done, I have a few more finishing touches to add to the harness I made and a little bit of editing and rearranging to the article before it's ready. I will try my best to get it done by the end of this week! Sorry for the wait! Glad to see more people interested!

#5 2015-11-08 23:13:26

Colt45

DIY Pony Harness

imagetest

As many of you know one of the most expensive pieces of equipment in the world of pony play is the harness. There are so many to choose from, so many designs from simple to intricate. But before you go spend a small fortune on your harness, consider making your own. This harness can vary in cost to make, but it's still a fraction of the cost you would most likely pay to have one made and shipped to you.

My reasoning for the design of this harness was to have the black leather looks with the silver grommets, leaving the breasts exposed and the vagina exposed as well, also I wanted another option for tail attachment. But you can always design one with a crotch strap, or rings around the nipples, naval, let your mind run wild!

The best part about making your own harness is that you can always adapt it and change it to your needs.

1:  Design:  Decide what functionality you would like, i.e. Pulling carts, bondage etc. after you've decided the function you can choose your look. When it comes to looks, you can check out pics online of all different types and styles of bondage harnesses for inspiration. I picked out about 50 different pictures of ponygirls and drawings and harnesses for sale and narrowed them down to less and less, along with taking note of the features I liked from each one. I have made my harness with belts...that's right leather belts. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend reading the article on harnesses on this site, to give you a better idea of how to make your harness for your intended purpose.

2:  Collect your materials: The key is to find multiple belts with the same style and finish, always get the longest ones they have available, but don't worry if you can't find them all the same sizes, you just get more material for your money this way! I found the belts I used in both the men's and women's department.

3:  build it!

What you'll need:

-Leather belts: I used 9 belts total, but I didn't use every inch of all of them, two of them I only used about 10 inches from, you can get these at most stores.

-Measurements:  I used both myself and my pony for these measurements.

-O-rings:  I recommend using 2 inch o rings for joining more than two straps together. Unless you are using narrower than standard belt as your material.

-D-rings: As many as you need for your anchor points for accessories or aesthetics.

-Buckles:  I used the buckles from the belts I used.

-Chicago screws:  Sex screws, barrel screws, whatever you call them, they are awesome for any kind of tack making, also sold at most leather shops and bio horse stores, great for repairing tack that may have had rivets holding it together, they also allow for disassembly should you change your mind or want to adapt your tack. I bought these fancy Chicago screws with a design on them. They are made by Weaver Leather, come in packs of six, three long, and three short.

imagetest

imagetest

imagetest

imagetest

-Screwdriver:  Standard straight/flat head screw driver for the Chicago screws.

-Sharp scissors or razor:  For cutting and shaping your leather belts into straps and components of your harness.

-Leather hole punch:  If you are careful with a cheap leather punch go for it, I bought a cheap one to start with and it only lasted half way through this project, it's better to get a good quality punch, especially if you plan on making other tack as well, or modifications to existing tack.

I started my harness with the thigh straps, they started life as two extra large women's leather belts, I actually used myself as a model to begin with to measure the size, then I gave about 4 inches extra for aesthetics and cut off the excess and I pointed the ends and punched 4 or 5 holes in them for multiple adjustments.
imagetest

imagetest

The excess from those belts became my shoulder straps...here is where the hole punching and Chicago screws come in, the excess from those belts were actually perfect lengths for the o-rings to sit where I wanted them to on my pony's chest and back. As you can see all I did was run the ends of the straps through and fold them over, punch a hole all the way through and secure it with a Chicago screw! Also you can make this adjustable by punching a few more holes if needed, the holes you see in the back part of this piece were where the belt holes already were. Also, I rounded off the ends where I had cut them to length so the corners wouldn't make my pony uncomfortable.

imagetest

Next, cut a strip for the back connector strap, this will connect your shoulder straps to the under breast strap using the back o-ring.
imagetest

imagetest

This is the third part as you can see I chose another style of belt, I like the grommets and these style of belts are obviously adjustable to any size! This part started out as two very long belts, I cut them down so that the buckles sat at the sides of my pony with the o ring in the center of the back. This piece will sit just below the breasts, and using one of the lengths left over after you cut these down, use it on the front to fasten the two belt buckles together. I did this purely for the look.
imagetest
imagetest
imagetest
The picture below shows the back connector strap after attaching the under breast strap.
imagetest
imagetest

Next, we move on to the front connector strap, this will connect your front shoulder strap o-ring, your under breast strap, and your waist strap together.
imagetest

Also, with this front connector strap you can add an additional o-ring or D-ring to your under breast strap as I did below.

imagetest

imagetest

Next, I built my waist belt, you will use this like a regular belt but with a few modifications, Such as, you will have to cut the stitching that holds the buckle on and punch it for attaching to your harness. You will also attach your thigh straps with one connector strap each. I used the grommets in my waist belt to attach the top of the connector strap and punched an extra hole in the thigh straps to attach them to the bottom of the connector strap.
imagetest

imagetest

imagetest

And below you will see that I have cut the stitching holding the buckle in place, removed the retaining loop, punched holes in the loop, through where the stitches were and one through the front connector strap. Then I took one of the long Chicago screws and put them all together.

imagetest

imagetest

imagetest

imagetest

imagetest

And there you go! Your harness may look different than this, as this was my design compiled from all the aspects I liked from various other harnesses I've seen. Feel free to ask questions, leave comments, post your designs, or ask for suggestions! I'd be more than happy to help you design your own harness! Also, if you see any mistakes, lack of detail, too much detail, let me know, this was my first article like this and I appreciate feedback! Happy trails!

Colt 45

Last edited by Colt45 (2015-11-08 23:14:48)

#6 2015-12-29 05:44:42

cpony
Administrator
Website

Excellent tutorial! Thanks Colt45 for taking the time to take photos and write this up!

#7 2016-01-02 07:40:49

Mustang

Thanks for the tutorial. Do you mind if I ask how long it takes to make the harness all up?

Last edited by Mustang (2016-01-02 07:41:02)

#8 2016-01-04 00:46:53

Colt45

It took me maybe a total of 3 hours, I worked on it over the course of a month or so, maybe a half hour a week when I had a couple spare minutes. If you have all the materials in front of you and your tools and thought out your design and how it all ties together you could probably knock it out in maybe an hour and a half, I have more time in this one because I made it, then added some things, then tore it all back apart piece by piece for this tutorial.

#9 2016-02-01 07:16:40

Bigred

Might have to try and make my self a harness. Not in my budget right now to buy one.

#10 2016-02-06 23:15:34

Colt45

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out!

#11 2016-08-24 05:34:24

Colt45

Has anyone made up their own yet or come up with any designs? I am willing to look at designs or ideas and make them for you at the cost of materials and small labor charge, plus shipping! I love seeing others ideas and tack!! And if there's something else you'd like to see done I can give it a shot!

Last edited by Colt45 (2016-08-24 05:35:42)

#12 2016-11-07 00:38:06

Colt45

Just wanted to let everyone know, I am considering taking orders for custom harnesses like the one above, if anyone would be interested in ordering one let me know, it can be modified from this design or completely different, I can collaborate with you and maybe we can come up with something exactly how you want it! Also, I'm hoping to write up a couple more articles for more tack soon! If there's something you'd like to see just post your request and I will do my best to see what I can come up with for you!

Board footer