Pony Play Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-16 15:45:14

WinnPin

Which bit do you prefer?

Rubber, metal, or rope? Not sure what else is out there, but those are three I can think. Also why do you prefer one of the other?

It's the Pony life for us

#2 2016-05-20 13:20:49

Colt45

Re: Which bit do you prefer?

I tend to like the rubber ones best, mostly for comfort and biting on, though I have used a metal o-ring snaffle I wrapped it with a thick layer electrical tape so as to not damage teeth. Hope this helps!

#3 2016-05-20 18:45:41

WinnPin

I do like my rubber bit, but hate how large the circumference is. I haven't had a chance to try the others, though I share the same concern about my teeth getting demaged with metal bits.

Last edited by WinnPin (2016-05-20 19:24:30)

#4 2016-05-23 03:15:42

cpony
Administrator
Website

I tend to prefer metal, mostly because many of the bit styles I like are only available in metal. However if I'm being handled by someone new, I'll go for the rubber bit. I don't personally like rope bits because it tends to get a little slimy with saliva.

#5 2016-05-23 12:37:02

WinnPin

I will have to try a metal bit and see how it feels.

#6 2016-06-02 03:33:22

cpony
Administrator
Website

If you have the chance to in a safe environment, I think it's worth trying for sure. However, as @Colt45 said, there is a risk of tooth damage, so do be careful.

I love them personally and am willing to take the risk if they're in a well-fitted bridle and my reins are in the hands of someone I trust, but be aware that there is *some* risk.

#7 2016-06-02 14:14:55

WinnPin

Life is to short not to take risk, any specific type you prefer over the other when it comes to metal bits?

#8 2016-06-09 17:59:12

cpony
Administrator
Website

Agreed, that's my philosophy as well. Where's the fun in not taking any risks.

Well, I like bits with long tongue ports so I can't get my tongue over the bit, and it makes speech much less understandable. I also find that such bits can be a little subduing, making me more tractable as a pony. I enjoy that feeling smile

There's also a wider selection of bits in metal, so if you're not averse to using a metal bit, you can pretty much buy whatever suits your fancy at a tack store.

#9 2016-06-11 23:34:55

WinnPin

I have seen the tongue ports and was wondering about them.

I can already see my partner rolling her eyes when we pull into the tack store.

Last edited by WinnPin (2016-06-11 23:35:14)

#10 2016-06-21 05:36:29

cpony
Administrator
Website

I love them, but it's definitely a matter of personal taste.

Ha! Well, there are worse places to spend your money smile The excuse I use is that the tack can be used on me or my horses, so really, shopping for tack is like a perpetual 75% off sale!

Side note, I recently bought another tongue bit that has the tongue port built into the bit:

image test

It's definitely a challenge to wear when snugged up in the mouth, but that's why I love it.

#11 2016-06-22 00:46:12

WinnPin

Yeah, I don't have any bio-horses yet so I can't use that excuse. LOL

But I am going to give that a try, do you ever have any issues with gagging from it?

Last edited by WinnPin (2016-06-22 00:47:14)

#12 2016-06-23 18:50:10

cpony
Administrator
Website

Well, the other excuse is that tack stores are cheaper than fetish stores smile A bit gag for $65 at a fetish store is just a $5 bit from a tack wholesaler with a leather strap added.

Not so much anymore. I used to have a very strong gag reflex: when I first started using the detachable rubber ports, I had to cut them down in length because I simply couldn't take them in my mouth without gagging, but now it's really not an issue at all except if they are situated in my mouth at a bad angle (or the reins are pulled back and up).

Don't get me wrong, they're still uncomfortable enough that I have to calm myself and concentrate on not moving my tongue around too much, but I guess that's part of the appeal for me. Generally though, I find if the port is pointed down, towards my throat, I can control the gag reflex. When it points up, and presses against the very back of the roof of my mouth, it's harder to control.

#13 2016-06-24 01:16:35

WinnPin

i am totally going to argue that point next time My partner and I are out and stop by a tack store

For the price I think I can give it a try and see. Probably buy a few different types just to try them out.

Last edited by WinnPin (2016-06-24 01:17:15)

#14 2016-07-03 03:51:37

cpony
Administrator
Website

The argument is a sound one smile I'm sure it'll be a fun shopping experience for both of you. The only downside is you can't really try on the gear in the store wink

#15 2016-07-05 11:38:59

WinnPin

Funny, I bought one recently and at first felt awkward, then remembered they had no idea it wasn't for a horse. LOL :-) not sure how I fell about the one I got but it was cheap so no loss trying. But my teeth didn't like the way it felt. So going to try a few more and see if I can find a good comfy fit.

#16 2016-07-23 07:19:09

cpony
Administrator
Website

Sorry to hear that the first one didn't quite live up.

Do you mind if I ask which type it was? I only ask because the bits with a jointed mouthpiece don't always seem to sit comfortably in my mouth. Bits with straight mouthpieces or double links (e.g. french link) are much more comfortable to me personally.

The good news is they are cheap - you can buy a bunch for the price of one "bit gag" sold at fetish shops - so you can try a few options for not too much money.

#17 2016-09-04 14:58:56

DesertHorse

The first halter I bought was from birchplaceshop and theirs is a very large rubber gag -- I'm not going to use the word bit because it does not work as a bit. I have a stupidly small mouth and this gag is uncomfortably huge for me, as are most bit gags for use on humans because I think they're marked not to ponies that are doing pony things but humans doing human things while dressed as a pony. I'd say that gag is more designed for a 'pony-like slave' than a working pony. However, it is nice and colorful!

The second halter I got from Ethicalkink and is MUCH better designed. More cozy, better fit, and the bit is small and made of leather with what I think is a hard PVC or metal bar sewn in. It isn't perfectly round like most equine bits, but kind of a wedge shape, which makes it very cozy to hold onto with your teeth.

I personally will never use metal bits as dental issues run rampant in my family line and I simply don't want to risk it, what with the thousands of dollars that have already gone into my teeth lol!

I haven't yet tried bio horse bits on myself, though I did purchase a couple of shank bits for my horse mask simply because I think they look awesome. Haven't a arrived just yet though.

( That said, on a bio horse I wouldn't ever use bits, especially shank bits, because they're particularly nasty for horses, but that's a different rant for a different day! )

Board footer